These hand cut oven chips or fries are deliciously crispy yet fluffy inside, made simply with baking potatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper, and cooked to perfection with the hack of a non-stick baking tray.
What ingredients do I need to make these homemade oven fries?
Baking potatoes: these often yield the sweetest, fluffy potatoes and are great for long chips too; my go to potato for these kinds of chips/fries. PS. you don’t need to peel these unless you dislike skins.
Extra virgin olive oil: a cooking oil with good fats and oleic acid, I always use olive oil for my chips
Salt and pepper: for flavour of course and added crispiness
A complete list of ingredients, quantities and instructions are in the grey recipe card at the bottom of the page
Is this low FODMAP and low histamine?
Tips for making the best oven chips or fries:
Slice these evenly; slice lengthwise into flat rectangle-ovals, then slice lengthways to make them into sticks ~1cm wide and deep.
Use a non-stick baking tray – ensure it’s PFOA and PFAS free.
Shake them halfway; the non-stick tray will mean that the chips facing down will crisp up best and if you don’t shake them at least once, they’ll burn on the underside.
How to make:
Simple to make, you just have to slice up your chips, drizzle with oil, salt and pepper and pop them in the oven, shaking halfway!
How to store:
If I have leftover chips I store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days and reheat till piping hot then enjoy again.
What to pair these with?
There are so many meals that these can be served with as a side, but how about pairing with my Carrot and Broccoli Burgers?
Homemade Oven Fries
- 2-3 Large Baking Potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt fine
- 1/8 tsp black pepper ground
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan). Wash the potatoes and finely slice them lengthways on the longest edge into 3-4 slabs each ~1cm thick. Now slice these another 3-4 times to make them into fries that are 1x1cm wide rectangles.
- Transfer to a non-stick (important!) roasting tray and cover them well in the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, tossing with a spatula halfway so they cook evenly. They’ll be soft inside and deliciously crispy on the outside.